Intelligent Mail® Package Barcode (IMpb)
IMpb provides piece-level data to enable the Postal Service to increase efficiency, add value to its package product line, and enhance its package tracking capabilities.
Who should use the IMpb?
With the Intelligent Mail Package Barcode, you'll get the best commercial prices with the largest discount available, piece-level tracking information at no additional charge for most products, and access to new products, services, and enhanced features.
There are three key IMpb requirements customers must meet to ensure they receive the best experience and value when they ship packages with the Postal Service. Each package must:
- Bear a unique IMpb barcode.
- Be accompanied by a version 1.6 (or higher) electronic Shipping Services File record populated with required details about the package.
- Include the correct destination delivery address and/or 11-digit Delivery Point Validated ZIP Code™ for each record in the Shipping Services File.
The IMpb includes the routing information in the barcode which allows the Postal Service to use automated equipment to sort and track packages as they travel through our network to the post offices that will make final delivery at the respective destinations. The electronic information and intelligent barcode allows the Postal Service to project workload and resources before and during the packages’ journey through our network.
In addition, the address and/or 11-digit DPV® ZIP Code data supports operational efficiencies by providing critical information needed to sort packages to delivery routes dynamically, leveraging technology instead of relying on complex distribution schemes memorized by employees.
The data rich, digital trail created through the distribution process provides tracking visibility that improves the customer experience – customers know where their packages are and when they’ll arrive – and fuels business intelligence to provide world class service and help your business grow.
In order to get Commercial Base Pricing (CBP) rates, commercial packages must have an IMpb barcode, and meet all other IMpb requirements, including transmitting an electronic Shipping Services File that includes the required address information. To be IMpb “compliant” and get the best pricing, you must use an IMpb-compliant software program.
You have two options to meet the new IMpb and data submission requirements:
- Electronically submit a Shipping Services File with manifest, tracking, and postage information in one file (through the Electronic Verification System - eVS®). Submission is one file which includes the Shipping Services File (with destination delivery address or ZIP + 4 and Destination Delivery Point Code information) and postage information. Payment for postage is deducted from a centralized electronic postage payment account (a Centralized Account Processing System – CAPS account).
- Electronically submit a Shipping Services File with manifest and tracking information, plus a separate Postage Statement (this option is referred to as a Manifest Mailing Solution). Payment for postage is made through a local payment / trust account or a CAPS account.
- Submission requires two components:
- Shipping and tracking information within the electronic Shipping Services File
- A hardcopy Postage Statement brought to the Business Mail Entry Unit (BMEU) or an electronic Postage Statement submitted through the Postal Wizard®
- Submission requires two components:
IMpb certification is available for providers supporting the Tracking Only version of the Shipping Service Files as well as those offering a certified manifesting solution for eVS.
For more information about IMpb, contact the National Customer Support Center at 1-800-238-3150 or email IMpb@usps.gov.