Bulk Parcel Return Service
Bulk parcel return service (BPRS) allows mailers of large quantities of Standard Mail machinable parcels that are either undeliverable-as-addressed or opened and remailed by addressees to be returned to designated postal facilities.
Who Should Use this Service?
Bulk mailers of Standard Mail machinable parcels.
Bulk parcel return service (BPRS) allows mailers of large quantities of Standard Mail machinable parcels that are either undeliverable-as-addressed or opened and remailed by addressees to be returned to designated postal facilities. The mailer has the option of picking up all returned parcels from a designated postal facility at a predetermined frequency specified by the USPS or having them delivered by the USPS in a manner and frequency specified by the USPS.
For this service a mailer pays an annual permit fee and a per piece charge for each parcel returned. Payment for the returned pieces is deducted from an advance deposit account.
To obtain a BPRS permit, a mailer must send a written request to the postmaster at each post office where parcels are to be returned. The request must include the following:
- Payment for the annual BPRS permit fee.
- Information pertinent to each requested delivery point that documents either the receipt of at least 10,000 machinable parcels originally mailed at Standard Mail rates during the past 12 months, or that there are reasonable grounds to expect at least 10,000 machinable parcels originally mailed at Standard Mail rates will be returned during the next 12-month period.
- A description of the returned parcels (e.g., piece size and packaging).
- A statement of the desired frequency and location of the parcel pickup or delivery point.
- Sample documentation that will be used to substantiate the number of parcels returned daily to each location.
- If labels will be furnished for returning opened parcels, sample labels prepared in accordance with DMM 4.0 along with instructions for their use.
- A written statement agreeing to pay the per piece fee for each returned parcel from a centralized advance deposit account.
Shipper Paid Services
Shipper Paid Services is an ACS fulfillment option that allows parcel mailers to receive an electronic address correction and pay forwarding or return postage via their ACS account rather than charging the customer.
Traditional ACS is one of the four ways to participate in ACS, where mailers receive notifications of undeliverable mail (UAA) and change-of-address (COA) electronically. The Intelligent Mail® barcode is not required to receive Traditional ACS.
Bulk Proof of Delivery Program
The bulk proof of delivery program gives mailers the ability to receive signature proof of delivery records for applicable mailpieces without requesting them individually. This enhancement allows mailers to retain records longer than the Postal Service retention period and provides mailers a more efficient way to handle signature records.